By: Arturo Cruz Cabrera
To succeed it implies to take bold decisions and stay focused throughout the path. Even when faced with the most significant challenges.
To govern effectively implies having the capacity for leadership and decision-making. That generates a positive social impact. To achieve stability and balance between the action plan, the possibilities, and facts. It will usually be a collective work, a team, and those who are role. However, in society, we are always faced with problems that are important to mention and to work on:
A problem of the new democratic governments, in the local and national aspects, is to consolidate the political democracy or electoral. Then, ensure the required capacity- formal aspects- to demonstrate efficiency, capacity, and coherence to rule with democratic mechanisms. The weak performance of democratic governments provides the conditions for the entrepreneur or political parties to isolate or target public goods to the bulk of society. This way, the government is nourished by positive freedoms and dignifies them. Nonetheless, it requires a government as a social leadership body. That unifies the share capital and the negative freedom limitations(Espejel Mena, J. Flores Vega, M. Rodriguez Mnea, J. 2012).
The idea of a government as a social conductor that unifies the share capital and limits negative freedoms reflects the need to balance the collective welfare and the protection of individual rights in society.
The share capital refers to the set of relationships, rules, and values and promotes cooperation, trust, and solidarity between community members.
This capital stock can be strengthened through government policies that encourage citizens’ participation, social inclusion, and the development of mutual support networks.
Also the idea of using the share capital and limiting negative freedoms, hereunder are some additional keys to effective governance.
- Vision and strategic planning: A leader capable of having a clear future vision and solid strategic planning. This implies setting goals, and realistic objectives, identifying the necessary resources, and designing a path to reach them. The vision and strategy planning, guide to orientate the actions and assure that the decisions making are aligned with the long-term goals.
- Effective communication: The communication is a fundamental tool in an effective government. A leader needs to be able to clearly convey the ideas, goals, and future goals for the teams and society in general. The effective communication promotes trust, encourages citizen participation, and facilitates informed decision-making.
- Transparency and accountability: A effective government is based on transparency and accountability. The leaders need to be transparent in their actions and decisions. Assuring that the citizens have access to relevant information, in order to evaluate the performance of the governance. Also, is fundamental to establish accounting mechanisms that allow the course of action to be evaluated and corrected when necessary.
- Adaptation capacity: The political, social, and economic environment is constantly changing. A strong leader has to have the capacity to adapt to changing circumstances. Think agile and flexible solutions. This implies being open to new ideas, innovating solutions, and being able to adjust the strategy when necessary.
- Alliance construction and teamwork: An effective government requires alliance construction and teamwork. A leader needs to be able to establish solid relationships with different stakeholders. Both nationally and internationally, to promote cooperation and seek joint solutions to the challenges facing society. Also, is fundamental to promote a collaborative work environment, and empower the team members, acknowledging and valuing their contributions.
Having a clear path implies possessing a clear vision, strategic planning, effective communication, transparency, accountability, adaptability, and alliance construction.
These are the necessary keys to lead successfully and have a positive impact on society. A governor needs to be engaged with society’s well-being and make informed and responsible decisions. Al leads to the country’s development and progress.
Arenilla Sáez, Manuel (coord.) (2010), La administración pública entre dos siglos, Madrid, INAP.
Barzelay, Michael (2003), La nueva gestión pública, México, FCE.